The impact of social media on the world cannot be undermined across countries and cultures of the world. All individuals, corporations, and nations of the world are painstakingly inventing different ways by which the power of social media can be harnessed to its full capacity.
As we tend towards maximizing the potentials of the advent, a lot of people get caught up in the oblivion of its activities and entertainment.
Social media addiction only comes into play when a person becomes overly attached to the use of a social media app or network. An addiction to social media carries all the possible effects of all other behavioral addictions like gambling, sex, eating, shopping, etc.
Effects of social media addiction
Like every other random activity will have upsides and downsides, the obsessive use of social media has its pros and cons. However, through research, public opinion, and general observations can ascertain that its disadvantages are not to be tossed into the trash. They exist and affect the lives of people in unbelievable ways.
Social media addiction could lead to:
- Mood modification
- Loneliness and lack of self-awareness
- Distorted thinking patterns and general perception
- Unpleasant physical and emotional condition
- Anxiety and depression
How to know you have social media addiction
- Anger, boredom, and loneliness when social media activity is reduced
- Persistent engagement with social media as a means of coping with problems
- The constant thought of what you might miss while not using it.
Treatment for social media addiction
Like other behavior addictions or even substance addiction, there are ways to overcome them. The following are easy tips to overcome social media addiction:
- Ensure your notification is not always turned on.
- Do not have your phone close by while you sleep and ensure you do not pick it up first thing in the morning.
- Exercise less priority on personal social media appearance.
- Intentionally seek face-to-face closure with friends and family other than using social media as leverage at all times.
- Discover new hobbies and activities that will keep you busy from your phone or other screen-based devices you use.
- Take medical and physiological tips from professionals.